Saturday, February 12, 2011

Top 10 Metal Songs Used for Torture



The United States 361st Psychological Operations Company currently uses heavy metal music, among other things, as a form of torture. According to Sergeant Mark Hadsell, "These people [prisoners] haven't heard heavy metal. They can't take it. If you play it for 24 hours, your brain and body functions start to slide, your train of thought slows down and your will is broken. That's when we come in and talk to them."









1. "Bulls on Parade" - Rage Against the Machine

"The fact that our music has been co-opted in this barbaric way is really disgusting. If you're at all familiar with ideological teachings of the band and its support for human rights, that's really hard to stand." - Tom Morello

2. "Fuck Your God" - Deicide

Steve Asheim, Deicide's drummer, said, "If I was a prisoner at Guantanamo Bay and they blasted a load of music at me, I'd be like, 'Is this all you got? Come on.' I certainly don't believe in torturing people, but I don't believe that playing loud music is torture either."

3. "Bodies" - Drowning Pool

People assume we should be offended that somebody in the military thinks our song is annoying enough that played over and over it can psychologically break someone down. I take it as an honor to think that perhaps our song could be used to quell another 9/11 attack or something like that." - Steve Benton

4. "Shoot to Thrill" - AC/DC

Troops used long range acoustic devices to blast AC/DC throughout the region to increase the vulnerability of Iraqi insurgents. The LRADs, developed by the American Technology Corporation, have also been used to repel pirate attacks in Somalia.

5. "Die Motherfucker Die" - Dope

"I can't tell ya how many e-mails we have gotten and letters from soldiers over there that have used 'Die Motherfucker Die' in their CD players and kept it on repeat. They're waiting for some shit to go down." -Edsel Dope

6. "Enter Sandman" - Metallica

"Part of me is proud is because they chose METALLICA. It's strong; it's music that's powerful. It represents something that they don't like — maybe freedom, aggression... I don't know... freedom of speech. And then part of me is kind of bummed about it that people worry about us being attached to some political statement because of that. We've got nothing to do with this and we're trying to be as apolitical as possible, 'cause I think politics and music, at least for us, don't mix. It separates people, [and] we wanna bring people together. So, so be it. I can't say 'Stop.' I can't say 'Do it.' It is just a thing — it's not good or bad." - James Hetfield

7. "March of the Pigs" - Nine Inch Nails

"It's difficult for me to imagine anything more profoundly insulting, demeaning and enraging than discovering music you've put your heart and soul into creating has been used for purposes of torture. If there are any legal options that can be realistically taken they will be aggressively pursued, with any potential monetary gains donated to human rights charities. Thank GOD this country has appeared to side with reason and we can put the Bush administration's reign of power, greed, lawlessness and madness behind us." - Trent Reznor

8. Hed P.E.

9. Limp Bizkit

10. Marilyn Manson

52 comments:

  1. Huge metal fan, some of these songs are on my playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant believe bulls on parade is used for torture! it's so ironic when you look at the meaning of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that's really funny to be using metal as torture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hah nice metal blog I needed it, followed
    and also good songs <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. These songs are all awesome, how could they be used for torture XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how I actually enjoy half of these songs lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats fucking crazy. i never knew that! but if you ever played these songs to torture me, you wouldn't get too far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats interesting lol. Like most of those songs aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No Cannibal Corpse? Come the hell on. If you are going to torture someone by repeatedly playing metal, just play I Cum Blood over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't know about this, but it's an interesting story =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting. What won't the military use??

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amusing, but then again i am not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a good list, I really like most of these bands!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow the military has some lameeeeeeeeeeeeee taste in metal, seriously how the fuck is Slayer not on that list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, thats funny...can't even tell if this is serious or not. xD
    Followed

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lot of people probably saw that list and though "So what was the torture?". I really like a whole bunch of those songs. I guess over 24 hours it gets crazy though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa never heard of that before. Those prisoners must be pansies! Can't even appreciate a good healthy dose of metal, they deserve to be locked up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They could play march of the pigs at me all day

    ReplyDelete
  19. needs more manson. the rest is ok. not my style.

    ReplyDelete
  20. heh i listend to a few of them, not my cup of tea ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh gosh, some of my favourite songs are those xD

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny, both Trent Reznor and Tom Morello spoke out, and actually talked about suing the US govt for using their songs as a means of audio torture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like some of NIN songs surpising that they found one that could be used for torture.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wonder if they have it on shuffle or if its jsut the same song over and over

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is crazy, I guess I've been torturing myself all these years, maybe I'm masochistic or something.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i still dont get how this is torture

    ReplyDelete
  27. besides this post being EPIC, it doesn;t surprise me to see all of this used as torture music because i grantee you that if i heard this music while being tortured i would be freaking out 10x worse

    ReplyDelete
  28. that is a really interesting use of heavy metal music. never thought it could be used to protect the free world. thanks for sharing. new follower

    http://underratedfilms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rage Against the Machine epic band!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd love to be tortured with some metal.

    ReplyDelete
  31. They should try Bieber, that's some real torture.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's some great metal playlist. I'm torturing myself with one of these songs everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, very interesting read. Glad I spent the time to stop by and read this blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wouldn't expect Bulls on Parade to be #1...

    ReplyDelete
  35. re: Bulls on Parade

    You can tell he went to the beach recently, because he has a pocket full of shells.

    ReplyDelete